Tuesday, January 31, 2012

5K Feeling

This past Saturday I ran my first ever 5k. It was one of the most exciting days of my life. Let me tell you why.

We left my house at 5:30 a.m to drive the 25ish minutes to Daytona. After picking up our packets and getting all checked in we headed down to the starting line. In the middle of Pit Road. At Daytona International Speedway.

The sun had not even risen yet, and here I was, standing under the lights of one of the most famous auto raceways in the country, lined up where motorsports legends have lined up for years to "start their engines".

As soon as I plugged in my headphones and turned up my tunes it was time to go. Once my feet started moving all I could think about was my pace. Trying to concentrate on not fizzling out too quickly. Before I knew it, a mix of Rihanna and Lady Gaga had carried me through the first mile. I slowed once to a walking speed, but my feet wouldn't have it and I sped up. Thinking to myself "Just make it through this song" then "One more song". Just past mile 2 I passed by some more members of our group who were doing the walking track. Shortly after that was mile 3 and the final turn.

The adrenaline I felt at that moment was incredible. I pulled out all the stops as soon as I could see the finish line. It wasn't long before the rest of our group crossed the finish line from the walking track. What an incredible feeling!

After a celebratory Denny's breakfast, a shower, and a quick nap we headed back to the track for the Rolex 24 hour race which we got into for free with our registration...and where after patient waiting, we caught a glimpse McDreamy himself, the one and only Patrick Dempsey, getting into his car!

Needless to say I slept like the dead that night. I am on the hunt now and gearing up for the next race!

Rach and I, excited and exhausted (in front of McDreamy's garage...)

No comments:

Post a Comment