Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Blanket Blabber

For a wedding gift, I am crocheting Justin a blanket using our wedding colors (or as close as I could get). It has come a long way, but it's a good thing I still have a little time to finish it. ;) Here is a picture of where I am so far:
The stitch I am using is called basket weaving. I found this stitch here (this blog has great tutorials and may explain better than I can!). I put my own spin on it by using the checker pattern, and by making each square individually. Here is a picture of a finished square:


Begin with a chain. Your chain should be a multiple of 6 plus one chain. (Each of my squares are 36 + 1 = 37)
Row 1:
Double Crochet in the third stitch from hook, and every stitch to the end.
Ch. 2, turn.
Row 2:
Front Post Double Crochet (Yarn over. Insert hook between first and second posts from the front, and bring it back through between the second and third. Yarn over, draw hook back through. Complete double crochet).
Repeat in next two stitches.
Back Post Double Crochet (Yarn over. Insert hook from back to front in next stitch. Complete double crochet). 
Repeat in next two stitches .
Continue your pattern of three from the front, three from the back until the end of the row.
Complete one DC in the extra stitch you made.
Row 3:
Same as row 2
Rows 4 & 5:
Begin these two rows by inserting hook from the back (In rows 2-3 you inserted your hook from the front first. This will create the weaved look)

I will be sure to share when the whole blanket is finished, and perhaps updates along the way. Happy stitching!

   

1 comment:

  1. This is such a sweet idea! I love that you're using your wedding colors and your crafting abilities. I so wish I was crafty! I just found your blog (via comment on another blog) and it's delightful! I love your last post, too. I've been looking for a great nails shade w sparkles and the Wet n wild is perfect. Anyways, just started following your blog! Come by, say hi, and follow back if you feel like it:) XO
    real budget, real busy, real body fashion:
    4scarlet.com

    ReplyDelete