Monday, January 23, 2012

Totally Tie-Dye

I am geeky and get excited by finding new and exciting places in my town. Yesterday I was introduced to a little art studio that was tucked away behind a strip mall and a car dealership, and let me tell you, this place is a hidden treasure!

A friend of mine told me about this place recently and mentioned that they were having a "Tie-Dye Day", so after church my roommate, friend, and her daughter went to check it out. There was one room blocked off for tie-dye, but the main part of the building was full of pottery to paint, glass pieces for mosaics, and a jewelry station! I am still kicking myself for not having my camera with me--what kind of blogger am I?!
Sideways view. It says "I got creative at art & soul"
Each shirt was about $10. All they had available were t-shirts with the studio logo, but we suggested that they look into tank tops, socks, etc. ;) Once we bought our shirts we took them back into the dying room. First we had to soak them in soda ash. We were told that this changed the pH of the dye and helped it make a permanent connection to the fibers in the shirt. We did that for about 5 minutes.

Then we put a clothespin on the spot where we wanted the spiral to begin (mine is right over my heart) and twisted until the whole shirt rolled up. Then we put rubber bands around the shirt so it looked like a sliced pizza.

Actually applying color was the fun (messy) part. I had in my mind only to use a couple of colors, but I couldn't help but love them all! I applied them very randomly to each section on both sides. We wrapped our shirts tightly in plastic wrap and put them in Ziploc freezer bags to keep overnight.

I threw mine in the tub under cold water this morning until it ran mostly clear. Then I put it in the washing machine on a cold spin cycle before running it with soap. I am very pleased with how it turned out and can't wait to go back and try out some of the other things they have at the studio!

No comments:

Post a Comment