Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Sweet & Sour Nightmare (Tuesday is For Foodies)





 I'm not a cook, but bless my heart for the ambition. Tonight I ventured to tackle a sweet & sour chicken recipe I found here.

I love Chinese food. And when I say love, I mean I probably bleed soy sauce. When I lived in Florida my roommate made this dish a few times. Of course she was one of those people. You know the type. The ones who make cooking look so effortless. Jerks. Here are the chronicles of my attempt.

This is a picture of two eggs, and a cup of corn starch. And a glass of wine, which I highly recommend having on hand at all times when you cook. This is where things started going wrong.

The recipe calls for 3-4 chicken breasts cut up into cubes. Check.
Roll the cubes in cornstarch, then egg. Oops. 
The next step is to brown the chicken in oil on the stove. Which would have worked wonderfully, had I dipped them first. 

Once I picked the chicken out of the pan and starched/egged every last one of those suckers I was back on track with gloppy hands and a disaster zone for a kitchen. It browned nicely, aside from leaving most of the  a bit of breading in the pan.
Put your chicken in a greased 9x13 pan and pour the sauce* evenly over the top. 

*
3/4 cup sugar
4 tsbp ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp garlic salt

Bake at 325 for an hour, turning and stirring every 15 minutes. 

Despite my frustration during the prep process and the giant mess I made in my kitchen, the final product was delicious. I would definitely make this again. The rice was from a pouch. I added water and pressed buttons on the microwave; don't judge me. I hope your kitchens are kind to you.

xo Steph

2 comments:

  1. Ooh this looks tasty! I love sweet and sour sauce.

    Have you seen that picture/poster/plaque thing that says, "I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." ? Love it...haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, this sounds quite delish!!! And wine while you cook?! Absolutely!! :)

    ReplyDelete