Saturday, October 27, 2012

Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater

I was all about helping with this kitchen adventure. Sticking my hands in and pulling out the guts was my favorite part of carving pumpkins when I was little! I baked this baby for an hour and a half at 250 and the skin came right off. Then I popped it in the food processor and strained it. Ready for pie!


The recipe I followed came from here but I made a few adjustments. I substituted 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice instead of using cardamon, and used extra cinnamon & nutmeg instead of ginger.
The pumpkin we had made enough for two pies, but we froze the rest for another time (probably Thanksgiving...pumpkin pie is a favorite in my family!)
I busted out the good china for this treat. The extra steps were totally worth the finished product; the flavors were really fresh and the color was so much more intense! I'm on the hunt for other uses for our pumpkin! 

Any ideas??
xo Steph




2 comments:

  1. Pumpkin bread! Cookies! Muffins! Smoothies! Oatmeal! ;)
    Bars! Pasta! Milkshakes! Can you tell I love pumpkin? ;)


    Your pies look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried to bake an actual pumpkin to make a pie,. but you made it look really easy!

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete