Monday, December 31, 2012

Year In Review 2012


What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?
This list could get kind of extensive.
  • I lived in my first apartment.
  • Taught in my own classroom.
  • Swam in the ocean.
  • Ran a 5k.
  • Drove a convertible.
  • Got married. And (forgive my candidness) enjoyed the full benefits of being married.
Lots of first experiences for me this year!

Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't make resolutions. At least not the "I'm going to join the gym this year" or "I'm going to cut caffeine this year" type. I like setting more short-term, realistic goals that I can actually achieve. So I guess the short answer to this question is no. ;)

Did anyone close to you give birth?
No. But a bunch of people I know are pregnant. Ask me this again next year at this time and I will have a lot to tell you!

Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. My neighbor that I grew up with across the street from my parents' house was killed in a car accident a few months ago. 
What countries did you visit?
Unfortunately I didn't leave the country. Anyone want to fund a trip for J and I??
What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
More time with my family. I only got to see my family for short holiday visits because I lived so far away. I was also splitting up my time between them and J.  
What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory?
June 16, 2012. My wedding day. :)
What was your biggest achievement of the year?
This was my first year teaching. It had plenty of ups and downs but I'm really proud of all the things I have learned and having made it through.
What was your biggest failure?
The "Newlywed Nine" is not a myth. After J and I got married I pretty much gave up on exercising and eating healthy. I lost a good amount of the progress I made in Florida. :-\
Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing out of the ordinary. One unfortunate weekend of double pink-eye and a few colds, but I am thankful for my good health.

What was the best thing you bought?
My iPad. J had to talk me into buying it, but now that I have it I'm so glad I do.
Whose behavior merited celebration?
Ummm...I don't know.
Where did most of your money go?
Being an adult. The wedding, rent, car repair, bills. 

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Getting married! I'm still pretty excited about it. :)
What song will always remind you of 2012?
Well, the song 2012 by Jay Sean.
It wasn't released in 2012, but how could I associate it with another year?
Compared to this time last year, are you:
Happier or sadder? Happier. 
Thinner or fatter? About the same. Maybe a little heavier. 
Richer or poorer? Poorer.
What do you wish you’d done more of?
I really wish I had taken more pictures. I also wish I would have run more so I could still do it :p
What do you wish you’d done less of?
Complaining. I focused on a lot of negatives instead of enjoying the positives. 
How will you be spending Christmas?
Well, the Saturday before Christmas we had a Christmas celebration with J's family before we drove to my house. Christmas eve we were with my mom's family at my grandma's house and Christmas day we were at my house with my dad's family.
Did you fall in love in 2012?
I am in love, obviously. But that started a while before 2012. :)
How many one-night stands?
None.
What thing did you do that was meaningful to others?
Umm...I'm not sure.  
What were your favorite TV programs?
Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother. And of course Hart of Dixie, Teen Mom and Honey Boo  Boo!!

Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I wouldn't say that I hate anyone. There are a few people I have lost a good bit of respect for though.
What was the best book you read in 2012?
I won't lie. I didn't read a whole lot of books. Probably the Hunger Games series though. 
What was your greatest musical discovery?
Oh man! The Lumineers. I can't get enough of this song.

  
What did you want and get?
I wanted to see my family. I'm closer to my family geographically than I have been in years and we live very close to J's family. I really enjoy being able to see them more. 
What did you want but did NOT get?
I wanted a smart phone. I went on J's plan when we got married and am locked into a contract; I'm realizing I don't really need one.
What was your favorite film of this year?
When I lived in Florida we went to the movies a lot; I really liked the Hunger Games and The Amazing Spiderman. I'm positive if I had seen Les Mis while it was still 2012 it would have been my favorite.
What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 23. It was the day after my wedding. I opened some gifts with my family (and my new family), drove a few hours into our honeymoon and spent the night in a beautiful hotel suite on Lake Michigan with my new husband. :)
What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Being closer to my family and friends. Everyone I am close with is spread out all over the country. And that sucks.
What kept you sane?
God, without a doubt. I relied a lot on prayer this past year. 
Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
This is a pretty recent one. And it's pretty freakin' weird. But probably Nev Schulman from the Catfish documentary/tv show. I just think he seems like an awesome guy.
What political issue stirred you the most?
I don't want to get into politics. 
Who did you miss?
My parents. 
Who was the best new person you met this year?
So many people in Florida. I made some really great friends there and met some really awesome people.
Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
Favorite quote from that book!

Source: evokingyou.com via Isa on Interest

That's a pretty good summary of my year. Thanks Jenna for the questions!! Tonight we're going to a friends' house to bring in the new year and hopefully skype with a friend who is spending the year in China! What are your plans tonight? 

xo Steph

1 comment:

  1. Haha - Isaiah had to talk me into getting an iPad too, and now I love it (I thought they were so stupid before)!

    Sounds like an awesome year to me - happy new year!

    ReplyDelete