Wednesday, April 3, 2013

What the Duck??

Five little ducks went out one day
Over the hills and far away.
Mother duck said "Quack quack quack quack!"
But only four of the ducks came back. 

This is one of my students' favorite songs. Each time the ducks go out, one less comes back until they are gone. Mother duck cries, and the kids think it's hilarious. Where did the ducks go??
Apparently to my apartment. When I opened the door of our building this morning this is what I saw. Ok, first I saw the layer of frost on my car windows and cried a little. But then I saw the duck. In case you're new here, I don't live on a farm. Nor do I live near water. In fact I live in a pretty busy apartment complex in the middle of town. 

I took a few cautionary steps toward the creature. He took a couple of waddle-y steps toward my car and quacked. Oh no, duck. This is my house. Step away from the vehicle. Then of course I stepped into the giant mud puddle that is our front yard to take a picture. He didn't move. Like he was taunting me with a game of chicken...er...duck. We both stood there for a few minutes unsure of what to do with each other. 

Sad mother duck went out one day
Over the hills and far away. 
Mother duck cried "Quack quack quack quack!" 
And all of the five little ducks came back.

When he finally realized I wasn't going to feed him any bread crumbs (or he heard his mom calling), he started to walk away. As I got into my car he answered back a couple of sassy "quack"s, flapped his wings, and took off. 

And that, dear friends, was the most noteworthy thing that happened to me today. Is it Friday yet?
xo Steph



1 comment:

  1. That's so random! I tend to get used to random wildlife around here....one time I came home to a possum in my driveway! We don't have water though, so I would definitely be surprised to see a random duck!

    ReplyDelete