Monday, July 29, 2013

Baked Italian Mozzarella Sticks [Live and Learn]

I spent most of my weekend in The Hamptons.  
Ok, so I spent my weekend on the couch watching and getting hooked on Revenge.
[source]
 I was able to peel myself off the couch long enough to try a new concoction in the kitchen: Baked Italian Mozzarella Sticks. The "Italian" part was a last minute addition when I realized I didn't have eggs. I also realized after I had cut the cheese sticks that I didn't have bread crumbs either. So this is what I came up with.



I didn't measure any of these ingredients. Really professional, right? I just filled the bowls with as much as I thought I would need. I opened a package of mozzarella cheese sticks and cut them in half; you could use them whole if that's what floats your boat.

1.  Roll the cheese in flour.

2.  Dip the flour covered cheese in Italian dressing. This is where most recipes use egg...but I had none. 

3.  Cover cheese in crumb mixture (crushed Ritz crackers, black pepper, and a little bit of Italian seasoning). This is where most recipes call for bread crumbs. I didn't have those either. 

Lay them out on a baking sheet and pop them in the freezer. They need to freeze for at least 15 minutes for the breading to stick and so the cheese won't become a melty mess in the oven. Cook for roughly 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
 These obviously don't look as beautiful as all of the Pinterest recipes I've found, but they tasted pretty good.

What I would change next time: The Italian dressing gave a good flavor but was a little over-powering--next time I will try cutting it with half milk or water. I got impatient and didn't let them freeze long enough--the cheese should be frozen before trying to cook them.

For the most part, I was pretty happy with the result. Let me know if you try it or if you have a good mozz stick recipe!!
xo Steph





2 comments:

  1. Those look yummy! Most things never turn out as pretty as they are on Pinterest haha

    PS I'm going to be changing up my buttons tonight or tomorrow and You're going up :) YAY!

    ReplyDelete