Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Bats, Brews, and Broken Shoes

Everyone talks about how hard it is to write an opening for a blog post. They're right. Anyway, here's what's been going on in my life lately.

Last Thursday night I had gone to bed later than usual. I had been sleeping for about three hours when I woke up to Justin turning lights on and saying "I don't want to scare you..." Okay, hold on. If you're waking someone up at 2:30 in the morning, this is not an acceptable way to do it. "...but I think there's a bat in the hallway". I watched for a second, as he thought through his plan of attack. He opened the door, poked his head out, then dove back into the room closing the door behind him. "Yep. There's a bat".

I was certainly not ready to process this at 2:30 a.m. While Justin frantically looked for something to catch or kill the creature, I sat in bed trying to rationalize the situation. "Where did it come from?" "I don't know." "How did it get in here?!?" "I don't know.." "What are you going to do?" "I don't know!!"

My husband is a warrior. He ran through the hallway and down the stairs to get a box to trap it. I hid in the bathroom. He got it outside, came upstairs, and went back to sleep. I'm sorry, what? There was just a bat in here. I'm not sleeping. I did eventually fall back asleep, but not long before my alarm went off. Joy.


Saturday we went to visit Justin's family at their campground and this happened.  
I've never been a huge fan of camping. Or dirt, or bugs. But this turned out to be one of the greatest nights I've had in a long time. When we got there, they were just getting ready for a deep-fried food party and were frying everything they could find.

And we played Cornhole. If you've never played this game, you are seriously missing out. Ok, all it is, is bean bag toss onto a board with a hole in it. But apparently it's a huge deal here. There was a tournament and lots of rules. I lost (along with every other game I played), but it was the best Cornhole game of my life.

The highlight, my friends, was that there was a DJ at the clubhouse. We all carted our drinks down there and danced the night away (except for Justin). My dancin' shoes must have gotten quite a workout, because now they are in flip-flop heaven.

There you have my weekend recap. On Tuesday night. I hope you had a fun filled weekend too!
xo Steph



3 comments:

  1. I still cannot get used to the term "Cornhole." We always just call it a bean bag toss, haha.

    I have no idea what I would do if a bat got into our house. I can't even stand moths, let alone flapping fluttering things 10x that size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, yeah, we get bats in the house from time to time. On those nights....I'm especially glad that I'm married. Because if I was just me...I would probably close off the room that the bat was in and leave it there until I could find someone else brave to trap it. I would not want to handle it alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bats are not welcome in my house. I don't really know what I would do if one found its way inside.

    ReplyDelete