Friday, June 17, 2016

27 Thank You's

Today I turn 27 years old. There have been a lot of people and things that have shaped me into who I am today and been tremendous blessings in my life, so before I go start celebrating (read: scrambling to get my house clean before my friends come over for dinner) (read: an evening of food and board games with the best)(read: the perfect Friday night), I thought I'd jot down 27 thank-you's (the order of these things means nothing...I am equally thankful to all).

1. Mom-Thank you for birthing me. Thank you for being a wonderful role model and friend. And for teaching me how to make your amazing lasagna.

2. Dad-Thank you for giving me your sense of humor and smart assed-ness. When mom snarks "You sound just like your dad", it is a compliment of the highest order. Thank you also for sharing your love of good music and random trivia.

3. Jethro-Thank you for waking me up in the middle of the night knocking things off the dresser. Thank you for meowing relentlessly until one of us lets you out on the porch. Thank you for alerting us to, but never actually catching, all of the bats and mice.


4. Neutrogena Tinted Moisturizer-Thank you for making my face look presentable with as little effort as possible. And also for providing me with sun protection and mild coverage without feeling like I have a pound of makeup on my face.
                                        
 5. Netflix-Thank you for providing me with hours of distraction and procrastination. And for The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

6. Grandma-Thank you for being the strongest woman I have ever known and being a wonderful Christian example.

7. Car-Thank you for being so trustworthy for so long. Whenever people ask if you're still running, I proudly confirm that yes, you are doing fine and I will drive you until you will absolutely not drive anymore. 

8. Yoga Pants-Thank you for providing me with endless comfort and relief from the judging waist bands of tight jeans. Please also pass along my thanks to flip-flops and sports bras. 

9. Michael Scott-Thank you for teaching me that sometimes it's okay to not know exactly what you're doing.
Michael Scott18


10. Tiffany-Thank you for being the type of friend that no matter how far apart we live or how rarely we see each other, it's like no time has passed. Thank you also for hours spent at Barnes & Noble, shopping trips, and movie nights.

11. Florida-Thank you for being a fun place to live for a year, but reaffirming for me that I am a midwestern girl and enjoy seasons too much to ever want to live in sweltering heat again.

12. Piano-Thank you for being my favorite thing that I own. I love spending hours sitting with you and making music.

13. My first PreK students-Thank you for being the greatest class ever and showing me that even though I always thought I wanted to teach kids much older than preschool, I was wrong.

14. Grapefruit La Croix-Thank you for being there for me when I am craving a soda. Thank you also for not making me feel guilty when I drink several cans of you in a day.

15. Ceiling Fans-Thank you for providing some respite from the suffocating humidity that plagues our AC-free house.

16. Emily-Thank you for being my person. Someone I can talk to about anything, go shopping and not buy anything with, and plan our dream of opening a bakery, and just hang out.


17. Buzzfeed-Thank you for hours of entertainment in the form of mindless articles and quizzes that make no sense.

18. Purple Fleece Jacket-Thank you for being my winter wardrobe. You always kept me warm and cozy even though you covered up all of the cute sweaters I tried to wear, and no one ever got to see them.

19. House-Thank you for all of your little old-house quirks. Your creaky floors and crooked doors are charming and you are the perfect first home for us.

20. Mat Kearney-Thank you for music that fits what ever mood I happen to be in. For being my go-to music for the last several years and the c.d (Do people still use c.d's? I do...) that's always in my car.

21. Crocheting (and knitting)-Thank you for being the best hobby(hobbies) there is(are). For making me feel frustrated and accomplished all at the same time, and for giving me something to do on long boring car rides.

23. Birthday-versary Cheesecake-Thank you for being a delicious celebratory dessert commemorating our anniversary and my birthday.


24. Scarves-Thank you for giving me the appearance that I am fashionable even though I am absolutely not, and for being the most comfortable accessory there is. I choose you over necklaces any day.

25. Brita Pitcher-Thank you for making our water taste clean and delicious. Thank you for making cold fresh water readily available to me at all times....when I remember to fill you. 

26. Jesse-Thank you for making me a mom. I'm so sorry I never got to see you or hold you, but I'm thankful that you never knew pain or cold or fear, and that the first place you saw was heaven.

27. Justin-I have so many things to thank you for I don't know where to begin. Thank you for putting up with me all this time. For your patience, kindness and love. For always making me laugh, always supporting me, and being there for me. Thank you for making up your own song lyrics when you don't know the words, for always being the one to empty the litter box, and reaching things on the top shelves of the cupboards for me. Thank you for everything.

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! I hope you get to eat even more delicious things today and win every game you play'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! I hope you get to eat even more delicious things today and win every game you play'

    ReplyDelete