Thursday, November 3, 2016

Weird Stuff and Awkward Things: The Pregnancy Conversation Edition

I had a completely different post planned for this, but a comment made to me recently sparked this idea. Apparently when someone finds out you are pregnant all boundaries and filters go out the window. Here are some conversations that had me like:
Here

"Was it planned?" I have been asked this a lot. Why do people need to know this?

"When did that happen?" So, to be clear, you're asking me when my child was conceived...?

(Scene: One afternoon I drove Justin's grandma to a doctor appointment. Leaving the office, we saw a couple with a very tiny very new baby. Grandma couldn't resist talking to them.) "How cute! She must be brand new...this one is brand new too" (and then proceeded to pat my stomach) I was only like 12 weeks at the time and I'm positive this poor couple felt as awkward as I did.

"You're having a boy? Did you want a boy?"  Just...what?

"Are you sure there's only one in there?" And along those same lines: "You're really starting to pop out"/"You're getting pretty big" Stop. Just stop. 

"I can tell your nausea must be gone. I've never seen you eat this much" If I could tear myself away from this plate of spaghetti, I would come across the table at you. Once the period of nausea passed, my appetite came back with a vengeance. Don't judge me.

"It really sucks that you can't have ..." I think the tiny human that I'm growing is worth not having a drink or a mountain dew for a while. But thanks for bringing it up. :)

"Can you tell there's a baby inside you?"  Should we talk about nausea, exhaustion, sore boobs, or the fact that I haven't had a period in a few months? Yep, I'm aware there's a baby. 

And finally this gem from my brother-in-law  "I'm gonna teach that kid how to live. You should name him Prince. Prince Hellyeah." 


Here








Stuff, Things, etc.

5 comments:

  1. On the bright side, some of the insensitive things people say make for really hilarious blog posts for the rest of us ;)

    When are you due, again??

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Was it planned?" ????? Who asks that?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh if I'm ever pregnant and I get this stuff I will be the one to say something like Nope not planned at all, I think it is actually my boyfriend's not my husband's!

    It makes me wonder about people sometimes! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are gold. I love Kristin's comment, but the answer is... pretty much everyone. If you have another kid close in age it suddenly becomes fair game because clearly no one plans for two under two. Why yes, random stranger, I am insane. ;)

    My personal favourite is the other end of the "It really sucks that you can't have..." people, the ones that tell you it's not so bad. "Just one beer won't hurt the kid." "Painting in an enclosed airtight space is fiiiine." "We all smoked and drank when we were pregnant and everyone turned out fine." The irony being those are the same people that treat taking morning sickness drugs like drinking gasoline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got just about all of these while I was pregnant! I can't believe people ask if the baby was planned or when it was conceived. A coworker asked me if I got pregnant while I was on vacation. I wanted to smack her.

    ReplyDelete